Sunday, February 20, 2011

New home for Revenge (Radeon Reverse Engineering Tool)

Thanks to Marek Olšák for having a backup copy of my Git repository online! The hard drive containing much of my personal code which was on people.freedesktop.org (until those directories were lost) is half way around the world.

Revenge now has a new home on http://gitorious.org/omcfadde/revenge.

I have bumped the version to 2.0.0, which introduces some minor configure.ac fixes: mostly PKG_CHECK_MODULES for libpci, sdl, and zlib. I have also updated email addresses and revenge.sh for non-developers.

Honestly I do not expect this code to get much interest now that we have documentation from AMD; but it's useful for historical/nostalgic reasons.

If I were to do it over again today: I would start with the kernel MMIO tracer (which would deal with the fglrx kernel module) then extend this to handle dumping MMIO access from a userspace process too. The kernel is the perfect place to do so, and would be far more reliable than userspace.

If you have any questions or bug reports, feel free to ask them here and I will try to provide you with timely answers/fixes.

1 comment:

  1. Please note that subtle changes in fglrx can, and have in the past, caused problems. I am currently on an Intel chipset therefor this release is untested.

    As with anything that's reading and writing registers on a device, there is the possibility of causing damage. This is *extremely* unlikely. However, should the worst happen, I take no responsibility.

    You have been warned.

    ReplyDelete